Young Explorer Bag
Are you visiting the Museum with a young child? Check out a Young Explorer Bag to use together in the galleries.
What is a Young Explorer Bag?
- Designed with the young child in mind, the Young Explorer Bag includes fun and educational activities and materials, as well as a caregiver’s guide to the Museum experience.
- There is a separate bag for the second and third floors of the Museum. We recommend planning an hour for each bag you would like to check out, but you are welcome to stay for a longer or shorter period of time.
- Each bag contains:
- Sensory book
- This book offers a self-guided tour of the Museum. It contains touchable texture pages inspired by featured objects, guided conversation and activity prompts for caregivers, and a sensory-friendly map of the Museum.
- Activity pouches
- Engage in fun, simple activities with children to learn about different Museum objects—from puzzles to matching games to drawing.
- Music player
- Listen to the songs and sounds of country music.
- Magnifying glass
- Encourage children to look closely at items in the Museum with a magnifying glass.
- Sensory book
Who is this for?
- The Young Explorer Bag is recommended for visitors with children ages 2 - 7. Older children or those with sensory needs might also enjoy adapting the bag to their own abilities and interests.
How do I check out a Young Explorer Bag?
- Available for free checkout with Museum Admission on a first-come, first-served basis.
- Advance reservation is highly recommended. Please allow a minimum of one hour’s notice. We welcome reservations days or weeks in advance. Please email email@example.com with the date and time of your visit to request a reservation.
- Walk-up checkout is available on the first floor Information Desk every day and the Taylor Swift Education Center on the Museum’s third floor between 10:00 AM and 4:00 PM on the following days:
- Every Saturday
- Thursday – Sunday during Fall Break and Spring Break Fun
- Daily during the Summer (Memorial Day to Labor Day)
Quieter times and space
- While we cannot guarantee certain times will be slower than others, the early morning (9:00 to 11:00 AM) and late afternoon (3:00 to 5:00 PM) on weekdays tend to be less busy.
- To find a quiet space, dim space, or seating area, use this family-friendly map as a guide.
- Nursing mothers: Ask a staff member, and we will help you find the First Aid room or a private classroom.
Young Explorer Bags are made possible by PNC.