Country Music: A Film by Ken Burns
For more than fifty years, the Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum has preserved and shared country music's ever-evolving story through our collections, exhibitions, educational programming, and research. Starting Sunday, September 15, documentarian Ken Burns turns his lens on this uniquely American art form with Country Music. Learn more at pbs.org/countrymusic.
About the Film
Explore the history of a uniquely American art form: country music. From its deep and tangled roots in ballads, blues and hymns performed in small settings, to its worldwide popularity, learn how country music evolved over the course of the 20th century, as it eventually emerged to become America’s music. Country Music features never-before-seen footage and photographs, plus interviews with more than 80 country music artists. The eight-part 16-hour series is directed and produced by Ken Burns; written and produced by Dayton Duncan; and produced by Julie Dunfey.
Country Music explores questions –– such as “What is country music?” and “Where did it come from?“–– while focusing on the biographies of the fascinating characters who created and shaped it — from the Carter Family, Jimmie Rodgers and Bob Wills to Hank Williams, Patsy Cline, Johnny Cash, Merle Haggard, Loretta Lynn, Charley Pride, Willie Nelson, Dolly Parton, Emmylou Harris, Garth Brooks and many more — as well as the times in which they lived. Much like the music itself, the film tells unforgettable stories of hardships and joys shared by everyday people.
- COUNTRY MUSIC: "The Rub" (Beginnings - 1933) | September 15, 7:00-9:00 PM
- COUNTRY MUSIC: "Hard Times" (1933-1945) | September 16, 7:00-9:00 PM
- COUNTRY MUSIC: "The Hillbilly Shakespeare" (1945-1953 | September 17, 7:00-9:00 PM
- COUNTRY MUSIC: "I Can't Stop Loving You" (1953-1963) | September 18, 7:00-9:00 PM
- COUNTRY MUSIC: "The Sons and Daughters of America" (1964-1968) | September 22, 7:00-9:00 PM
- COUNTRY MUSIC: "Will the Circle Be Unbroken" (1968-1972) | September 23, 7:00-9:00 PM
- COUNTRY MUSIC: "Are You Sure Hank Did It This Way?" (1973-1983) | September 24, 7:00-9:00 PM
- COUNTRY MUSIC: "Don't Get Above Your Rasin'"" (1984-1996) | September 25, 7:00-9:00 PM
All Air Dates and Time in CST
Carry on the story with the 2-CD set Country Music: The Soundtrack, the companion book Country Music: An Illustrated History, and other related products, now available for purchase in our Circa The Museum Store.