May 27, 2016 - November 06, 2016
Blake Shelton: Based On A True Story exhibit
The museum features the award-winning, country music megastar Blake Shelton in an exhibit Blake Shelton: Based on a True Story, supported by SunTrust.
This career-spanning exhibition chronicles the Oklahoma native’s rise to fame using special memorabilia from his life and career. It follows his childhood and his move to Nashville as a teen, to his multi-platinum recording breakthrough, to becoming a national celebrity on NBC’s The Voice.
A range of artifacts tell the story of the struggles and triumphs of one of country music’s most popular and multi-dimensional artists.
A few highlights of the exhibition include:
- Very early Blake Shelton merchandise sold by Blake and his family at his 1994 concert in his hometown, Ada, Oklahoma
- A memo pad with the lyrics to the first song Shelton wrote.
- Shelton’s first royalty check, in the amount of $2.73
- Plaid shirt worn by Blake when he moved to Nashville
- Aria acoustic guitar used by Shelton on his first radio tour, to promote his 2001 single “Austin”
- Elf costume worn by Shelton on NBC-TV’s Blake Shelton’s Not So Family Christmas special in 2012
- Shelton’s 2011 CMA Male Vocalist of the Year award
- Shelton’s 2011 ACM Male Vocalist of the Year
- 2016 Kids’ Choice Awards slime suit worn by Shelton
About Blake Shelton:
Oklahoma native Blake Shelton was the Country Music Association’s 2012 Entertainer of the Year, and he has won the CMA award for Male Vocalist of the Year five times. Shelton has sent 13 songs to the top of Billboard’s Hot Country Songs chart, beginning in 2001 with “Austin.” Shelton has 21 #1 hit singles across multiple country music charts. These hits are featured on his album Reloaded: 20 #1 Hits, released in October 2015. He became a member of the Grand Ole Opry in 2010. Shelton has earned many awards and nominations throughout his career, including the 2016 People’s Choice Award for Favorite Male Country Artist. He is in his tenth season on NBC’s The Voice, and will host Nickelodeon’s slime-filled Kids’ Choice Awards on March 12. He is a nominee for Country Artist of the Year for the 2016 iHeartRadio Music Awards. Shelton has started his 2016 tour, with support from Gildan, and he will release a new album later this year.