March 17, 2017 - March 17, 2018
American Currents (The Music of 2016), in the museum’s ACM Gallery, chronicles the latest chapter in country music’s ever-evolving story through a behind-the-scenes look at some of last year’s most significant moments in country, Americana, and bluegrass music.
The big stories of the year just past are represented by artifacts from the Americana Music Association, Jason Aldean, Kelsea Ballerini, Ross Copperman, Earls of Leicester, Brett Eldredge, Florida Georgia Line, Mickey Guyton, Natalie Hemby, Sierra Hull, Jason Isbell, Miranda Lambert, Jim Lauderdale, Shane McAnally, Lori McKenna, William Michael Morgan, Maren Morris, Jon Pardi, Dolly Parton, Margo Price, John Prine, RaeLynn, Chris and Morgane Stapleton and Randy Travis.
Among the artifacts:
- Jason Aldean’s Baldwin denim jacket and Gap shirt worn on the cover of his 2016 album, They Don't Know.
- Natalie Hemby’s handwritten lyrics to “Keeper of The Flame.” Cowritten by Hemby, Miranda Lambert, and Liz Rose, the song appeared on Lambert’s 2016 album, Weight of These Wings.
- William Michael Morgan’s 2006 Washburn D160N guitar, signed by some of his songwriting partners and heroes, including Dean Dillon, Gary Nicholson, and Jeff Silvey.
- Maren Morris’s Zhivago gown worn by Morris for her performance of “My Church” at the 2016 CMA Awards.
- Dolly Parton’s gown with lace and rhinestone overlays and matching Christian Louboutin pumps, worn during her acceptance of the Willie Nelson Lifetime Achievement Award at the 2016 CMA Awards.
- Margo Price’s 1956 Gibson LG-3 acoustic guitar, given to by her great uncle Bobby Fischer, a Nashville songwriter with songs recorded by George Jones, Reba McEntire, Conway Twitty and others
The annual American Currents exhibit provides an up-to-date snapshot of the state of country music so that visitors will not only learn about the history of country music through the museum’s permanent exhibition, Sing Me Back Home, but also experience how the music continues to evolve today. From industry award winners and influential songwriters, to emerging artists and country music legends, American Currents is one of the museum’s most dynamic exhibitions and is housed in the ACM Gallery.
UPCOMING EXHIBIT-RELATED PROGRAMMING
SATURDAY, MAY 20 | 2:00 pm
Book Talk: Beyond Words with John Prine
THURSDAY, JUNE 8 | 11:30 am
Performance: William Michael Morgan
THURSDAY, JUNE 8 | 3:00 pm
Songwriter Session: Jon Pardi
SUNDAY, JULY 23 | 1:00 pm
Musician Spotlight: Sierra Hull: Mandolin