Family Tradition: The Williams Family Legacy Presented by SunTrust
March 28, 2008 - December 31, 2011
Exhibit Closes December 31, 2011
Few families have had such a major impact on country music as the Williamses. This 5,000-square-foot major exhibition examines the personal lives of Hank Williams and Hank Williams Jr. and explores the dynamics that inspired some of the most influential country music ever recorded.
See the connections between these iconic figures and their creative heirs and discover how American music continues to be measured by the standards they set. To tell the story, Hank Williams Jr., Jett Williams, and members of the Williams family have offered over two-hundred rare artifacts never seen by the public, enabling the museum to create an unforgettably compelling saga of love, heartache, and redemption. The voices and music of all family members are heard throughout the exhibit. This major exhibition presents an intimate, behind-the-scenes portrait of a great American musical dynasty. Come learn more about the family at the foundation of country music.
Family Tradition Encore
See online exclusives of video, photographs, awards, documents, and other content not on display in the museum's galleries. Check back often to see what other materials the Williams family unearths for their exhibit encore.
Family Tradition Programs
During its run, Family Tradition: The William Family Legacy, Presented by SunTrust will be accompanied by related public programs including live performances, films, panel discussions, and opportunities to converse with members of the Williams family and individuals important to their lives and careers. The schedule is updated regularly here.
This limited engagement exhibition is included with museum admission or free to museum members. Most of the museum's public programs are included with museum admission or free to museum members.
Read the Family Tradition related press releases
- December 3, 2009 - COUNTRY MUSIC HALL OF FAME® AND MUSEUM TO EXTEND MAJOR EXHIBITION FAMILY TRADITION: THE WILLIAMS FAMILY LEGACY, CO-PRESENTED BY SUNTRUST AND FORD MOTOR COMPANY THROUGH DECEMBER 2011
- September 14, 2009 - HANK WILLIAMS III TO VISIT COUNTRY MUSIC HALL OF FAME® AND MUSEUM ON OCTOBER 10 FOR SPECIAL PERFORMANCE
- November 11, 2008 - LYCRECIA WILLIAMS HOOVER TO VISIT COUNTRY MUSIC HALL OF FAME® AND MUSEUM ON DECEMBER 13 FOR RARE PUBLIC INTERVIEW
- September 9, 2008 - SINGER-SONGWRITER HOLLY WILLIAMS TO VISIT COUNTRY MUSIC HALL OF FAME® AND MUSEUM ON OCTOBER 4 FOR INTERVIEW, PERFORMANCE
- February 28, 2008 - COUNTRY MUSIC HALL OF FAME ® AND MUSEUM TO BOW FAMILY TRADITION: THE WILLIAMS FAMILY LEGACY, CO-PRESENTD BY SUNTRUST AND FORD MOTOR COMPANY ON FRIDAY, MARCH 28, 2008
Family Tradition Print Art
Print of the official Family Tradition exhibit logo. Limited edition, printed on heavy stock and great for framing.
Family Tradition Tee
This limited edition t-shirt features artwork designed especially for the Hank Williams Family Tradition Exhibit by Mark Ulrickson. The 5,000-square-foot major exhibition examines the personal lives of Hank Williams and Hank Williams Jr. and explores the dynamics that inspired some of the most influential country music ever recorded.
Hank Williams: The Unreleased Recordings (3 CD Set)
This historic 3-CD 54-track collection is a rare, informal glimpse into the heart and soul of one of country music's greatest stars. These recordings feature songs that Williams wrote and never performed elsewhere and songs that otherwise only existed as home demos.
The exhibit features never-before-seen Williams family artifacts. Among the artifacts are two buckskin jackets worn by Hank Williams Jr. The child-size jacket was made by Trego's Western Wear and the adult jacket was designed by Manuel. (Photo by Donn Jones)
This major exhibition explores the behind-the-scenes dynamics that inspired the Williamses' most memorable songs. Below are some of their most loved songs.
- Hey Good Lookin'
- Move It on Over
- Honky Tonkin'
- I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry
- Cold, Cold Heart
Hank Williams Jr.
- All My Rowdy Friends Are Comin' Over Tonight
- Family Tradition
- Whiskey Bent and Hell Bound
- Tear in My Beer
- A Country Boy Can Survive
- Born to Boogie
- Old Habits